Friday, November 9, 2007

Job Action? Balancing my Rights and Responsibilities

Today I received several emails about the Job Action that begins Monday in my school corp. I've never been a part of something like this before. Frankly, politics intimidate me. That's probably because I tend to be non-confrontational. However, I'm all for justice, and I realize that a teacher's job is never done. There's so much more to it than 7:40-3:20, Mon-Fri. Even as a student teacher, I put in a whole lot more hours than just that. I'm sure that after a few years, it is easy to feel that the salary is just not working, and of course, gas prices don't help. But here is the question I pose--when does your responsibility to your students outweigh your right to protest your salary? I know that I cannot serve my students as well if I show up in time for the bell to ring, and leave just as soon as the contract says I can. Who am I helping? and who am I hurting?

Today in one of my history classes, we talked about the Underground Railroad. I led my students in a discussion about "Is it ever right to break the law? Why or why not?" Our conclusions came down to this: you have to look at your priorities. What is most important? What is really worth fighting for?

Come Monday morning, I will slip into the building earlier than usual and do my job well. I will leave when I'm finished with my work. I will behave above reproach, and I will put my head on my pillow Monday night with a good conscience. This is the conclusion I have drawn--what do you think?

2 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

That's a tough one. At my school, we were asked to do the same a few years ago. We were also advised to back out of any extra duties, such as serving on committees, tutoring kids after school, etc. I was new at my school and felt it was important to follow suit, even though I felt very uncomfortable. I didn't want to make a bad impression with my colleagues; if they were willing to stick their necks out, I felt I should do my part, since I would benefit along with them. I just didn't want to tick anyone off, frankly. I still worked as hard; I just did it at home. As I recall, the Action only lasted about a week; we got some of what we wanted. I also recall that the kids, over all, were supportive.

I love what you did with the Underground Railroad discussion; it could help students understand.

I appreciate your loyalty to the kids, but I believe that you will also be modeling for them how to protest peacefully and to stand up for themselves. Good luck on Monday...

Mrs4444 said...

So...how's it going?